[Fedora-packaging] Re: LibtoolArchives, v0.3

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Jan 18 01:04:47 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 02:04:11AM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 01:08:57 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:

> You seem to favour the "bloat" that increases maintenance
> requirements for packagers and software developers.

No, I don't favour "bloat"ing, you often seem to assume strange things
about people you communicate with.

> > > It results in pretty much the opposite of trying to eliminate
> > > superfluous and redundant BR. You will find that packagers will
> > > be confronted again and again with missing BR which are only
> > > needed because of direct dependencies between .la files or
> > > changes within the libtool dep-chain.
> >
> > And? One BR perhaps (!) too much for one *.la file.
>
> They are _wrong_ BR and wrong R even if you insist on barking up the tree
> to get leaf packagers to add the bloat in their packages before you would
> be able to rebuild your package fine without starting to use ugly work-arounds.

The ugly workarounds are what we're doing with selectively nuking *.la
files depening on the wind direction. Patches to untangle build and
runtime dependencies from libtools are already available and used by
other distribuitions and upstream authors are more than willing to
understand what your issues are and fix it in libtool proper, so
please put the efforts there instead of rebreaking the distro on every
single kde change. Not to mention that kde is just one user of the
runtime *.la there may be others now and in the future.

Let's not waste ourselves on ugly workarounds and keep *.la files
until libtool does better. The few "bloated" build dependencies that
force our build servers to waste ten seconds more per package build
are not really worth it. And again: There are patches fixing most of
it already, even tested in the field by other distros since *years*.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net