[Fedora-packaging] Java naming scheme

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Jan 18 15:33:58 UTC 2007

> On Thursday 18 January 2007 10:18, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> > Well, it turns out I don't think this will be necessary:
> >
> > I started writing this up late on Tuesday:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/ExceptionJPackage
>
> I don't see how this handles multiple Fedora releases.
>
> This works great if you only consider jpackage as one release, and Current
> Fedora as one release.  However we DO have to consider:
>
> jpackage--
>            - Fedora Current
>            - Fedora (Current - 1)
>            - Fedora (Current - 2)
>
> Obviously one can't use the same NVR on all three Fedora lines, so something
> has to be used to differentiate them, and allow for rebuilding something on
> Current - 1 that isn't built on Fedora Current.  (could be something as silly
> as a buildsystem bug that didn't produce all the packages.  Have to bump the
> nvr to build again)

Hmm, that is a good point. Normally, we'd give the packager the choice
of using %{?dist} or bumping the release, but since we're trying to
ensure hierarchy, %{?dist} is the only real option.

Just appending %{?dist} to the end of the subrelease scheme solves that
issue, I'll update the document.

~spot