[Fedora-packaging] Java naming scheme

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Jan 18 17:02:39 UTC 2007

On Thursday 18 January 2007 11:43, Fernando Nasser wrote:
> > Again, by the time you realize you need it, its too late, unless you
> > rebuild on ALL branches just to add the dist tag, and then you defeat the
> > purpose. ANY package that is using the same upstream version should
> > probably use the dist tag to avoid non-fun games with adjusting release
> > across branches.
>
> I think what I need to understand now is why it affects more packages
> with an upstream version than the others.  You are probably thinking of
> a specific scenario, what is it?

Well, some people try to manage this themselves, by using a release of "6" for
FC6 branch, release of "7" for F7 branch.  Then if they have to respin on 6,
they go from 6 to 6.1 which is still older than 7.

grog upstream release 4.1.

grog-4.1-6  = FC6
grog-4.1-7  = F7

grog-4.1-6.1 = FC6 respin still older than F7

We still have to do this with disttag too, but then we don't have to have fake
release numbers per se.

grog-4.1-1%{?dist}   Can be used across both branches, giving you:

grog-4.1-1.fc6 = FC6
grog-4.1-1.fc7 = F7

One can continually use the same exact spec file for both branches until there
comes a time that you actually have to fork one of them, and you'd add a .1
after the dist tag:

grog-4.1-1.fc6.1 = FC6 respun
grog-4.1-1.fc7 = F7, still NVR newer.

When using disttag, you can branch later.  When NOT using disttag, you have to
branch immediately to ensure that NVRs are not the same and are in proper
upgrade order.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora