[Fedora-packaging] Re: LibtoolArchives, v0.3

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 04:48:38 UTC 2007

> Rex Dieter (rdieter at math.unl.edu) said:
> > AFAIK, the only unknown up to this point was kde, which I've found it is
> > fixable (runtime, at least).  I'm aware of no other cases where .la
> > files are required for runtime function.
>
> gnucash has its own custom module system built on top of libltdl;
> it is very unhappy without them. It's probably hackable to work,
> but as there's already a branch on the trunk that ports it all
> to gmodule, I'm not that interested in looking at it outside
> of possibly backporting that branch.

A quick glance at the source looks like there's less than ten places in
gncmodule.c that require changing.  But I think that what you're
pointing out makes a good general guideline -- we're working to fix
these cases upstream.  If upstream has a fix but it's in their
development branch (gnucash-cvs, kde4) then we could make a specific
exception to the guideline for that software with the note that the fix
will be in release x.0.  The only question would be how long we would be
willing to wait for that update rather than backporting/fixing the
problem in the current version.

-Toshio