[Fedora-packaging] erroneous provides

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Jan 26 16:04:35 UTC 2007

> On Friday 26 January 2007 10:29, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > So, how does this list like the idea of adding a bulletpoint for
> > "sane provides" to the package review guidelines ?
>
> I like it.  However, defining 'sane provides' might prove difficult, but if
> you have pointers or a draft bullet point I'd gladly read it (:

Its hard to make that very precise, but it should mean something like

  Look at the list of provides and verify that all of them are
  intentional. Use repoquery to check if other packages already provide
  the same thing, and if so, look closer. This is generally ok if
  the provides is for a .so that lives outside of LIBDIR, otherwise
  it indicates a potential problem.