[Fedora-packaging] Unused direct shared library dependencies and rpmlint

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sat Jan 27 17:18:49 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 10:47:49AM +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Inspired by
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-maintainers/2006-June/msg00176.html,
> I've had a patch for rpmlint in my local tree for a while which checks for
> unused direct shared library dependencies in shared libs.
>
> I'm wondering whether this check is a good idea; I'm not an expert in this

I am not an expert either but I think this is a very good idea. I have
started to do this manually in all the reviews. I think it seems
interesting to me for the following reasons:

* it seems to improve linking
* it removes unneeded dependencies, so rpm/yum/... will likely be faster
* rebuilt are not necessary when an indirect dependency ABI changes

In my opinion the best way to remove those unneeded dependecies is to

* use pkgconfig and .private apropriately in libraries
* work with upstream such that packages that depend on the libraries
  use pkgconfig apropriately.

--
Pat