[Fedora-packaging] Re: Guidelines and epochs

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Jan 8 16:18:52 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 05:09:29PM +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 11:03:54AM -0500, Fernando Nasser wrote:
> > Epochs should be just:  1, 2, 3, 4...  although I never saw it greather
> > than 1.
>
> mozilla was at over 35, bind is at 30+, aspell-de/en is at 50, arpwatch,
> dhclient, tcpdump 10+, and een kdebase/kdelibs at 6.

> > The 1-9 range should last for the decade at least.

Just to display the stats on this a bit better, for FC6/x86_64
repoquery returns the following stats for core and extras:

core (number of packages vs epoch value)

   2499 0
    267 1
     44 2
      5 3
      8 4
      7 5
     26 6
      9 7
      4 8
      6 9
     12 12
      6 14
     10 30
     27 50
      1 51

extras (number of packages vs epoch value)

   3865 0
     75 1
      7 2
      3 6
      1 7

So, indeed extras really has been well disciplined! That is not to say
anything against the core packagers, some epochized packages there
have an ancient legacy, and some go back to times where the epoch
problem wasn't as well perceived as today. Although epochs over 15/20
make one shudder. ;)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net