[Fedora-packaging] Re: LibtoolArchives, v0.3

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Wed Jan 17 15:17:15 UTC 2007

Enrico Scholz wrote:

>> Huh?  .la libtool archives in LD_LIBRARY_PATH are those used for *linking*,
>> so why not -devel?
>
> E.g. /usr/lib/kde3/kded_kdeprintd.la contains
>
> | dependency_libs=' ... /usr/lib/libkio.la ... '
>
> --> /usr/lib/libkio.la is needed at runtime and must be in a main
> package.

Not necessarily.  Just because something is listed as a dependency_lib,
and it is missing, does not make loading it fail.  (Try it, or trust me,
  *I* have, for kde bits anyway).

Besides, did you miss my comment in the proposal that kde is fixable to
not require .la files at runtime *at all*? (:

> Saying that packager has to decide on a case-by-case base does not help;

It's better than the status-quo of saying .la files MUST (always) be
omitted.

-- Rex