[Fedora-packaging] Re: smp_flags considered dangerous?

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Jul 2 22:40:43 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 00:34 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> Well, not "well written", but "trivial". Once you start messing with
> non-conventional, non-linear builds (just think tex) you start leaving
> the safe harbour, and you can reverse the above: "complex Makefiles
> almost never wokr wit hsmpt flags".

Out of 130+ packages I maintain, only 3 of them fail to build with
smp_mflags.

That's roughly 2%. IMHO, the guidelines should be for the most common
cases.

If smp_mflags doesn't work with your package, no sweat, take it out and
document it. But it should be the default, and all packages should try
to use it whenever possible.

~spot