[Fedora-packaging] License Tag Draft

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jul 27 04:58:23 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 00:34 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 05:51 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 18:27 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> > > OK, I know this is going to be painful, but we need to solve this (FESCo
> > > is waiting for us to do it), and I think this is the cleanest way:
> > >
> > > Please review: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/LicenseTag
> > > and http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing .
> > >
> > > We'll vote on it next week.
> >
> > -1
> >
> > As I understand it, you are trying mandate versioned license tags.
> > Such an approach is inapplicable without a "license tags" register being
> > actively maintained by an "licence tag administration office".
> >
> > In other words, to me your proposal is equivalent to mandating cars
> > carring license tags but allowing car owner to "paint them themselves".
>
> Ralf, there really isn't any other way to solve the problem without
> having a list of standard license identifiers.

Then think your thought to an end and implement the required
administration bureau first.

Right now, you are stopping half-ways, and therefore fail to see the
bureaucracy you are trying to push onto fedora contributors. RH is going
to force Fedora into a more bureaucratic than Debian has ever been.

> The http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing page is the license
> registry. I'm volunteering to lead the effort to maintain it, since I've
> effectively been doing that for more than a year now.
ROTFL - You can't be serious to call this an infrastructure.

> I'm more than willing to take on additional helpers to maintain this
> license registry. I'm very willing to alter the license identifiers to
> make they more simplistic, but without that baseline standard, it won't
> be possible to predictably track license data from packages.
Whatfor? Somebody from the "dark circles" at RH ordered you to do so and
because of the GPLv3 had been introduced. I call this overreaction and
hysteria ...

Ralf