[Fedora-packaging] License Tag Draft

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Sat Jul 28 19:58:09 UTC 2007

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, Tom \spot\ Callaway wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-07-28 at 12:15 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
>> On Friday 27 July 2007, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
>>>
>>> Utopia: RPM could support License(STRING), then we could have multiple
>>> license tags for packages.
>>
>> Provides could be (ab?)used for that, eg:
>>
>> Provides: License(Apache2), License(BSD)
>> Provides: License(Artistic||GPLv2+)
>
> Wow. I can just hear yum choking on itself and dying.
>
> I'd feel very sorry for the first person who did:
>
> yum install "License(BSD)"

Yeah, provides wont do.

Dunno if you saw my "utopia" mail in this thread - some of it might be
utter utopia but not all. I'm willing to help from rpm side, we just need
to figure out what exactly is it that'd needed. Getting rpm enhacements
widely deployed is a slooooooooooooow process so it'd better be reasonably
well defined by the first attempt :)

 	- Panu -