[Fedora-packaging] Re: smp_flags considered dangerous?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Jul 2 22:34:43 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 03:58:48PM -0500, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 22:23 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
>
> > But as *recommendation* we should switch from endorsing it to
> > questioning it and recommending not to use it.
>
> I disagree. Well written code almost never has problems with smp flags.

Well, not "well written", but "trivial". Once you start messing with
non-conventional, non-linear builds (just think tex) you start leaving
the safe harbour, and you can reverse the above: "complex Makefiles
almost never wokr wit hsmpt flags".

So, keeping smp_flags will create pain and detcet such issues, that
can be considered a good thing. Only I don't think the pain is worth
it. I for one will not start hunting down java Makefile issues which
only exhibit on parallel builds.

Make smpt_flags and opt-in instead of opt-out.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net