[Fedora-packaging] build ID -debuginfo rpm convention

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Tue Jul 10 21:24:08 UTC 2007

I saw in the archives there were actually a couple of replies, though I
received none.  I guess the list breaks proper reply-to and cc and so
people weren't cc'ing me (I'm not on the list).

The two questions made it sound like noone read
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RolandMcGrath/BuildID
where the whole plan is explained in detail.

The ID bits are the thing you have from the core file that makes it
possible (via the /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/ convention) to figure out which
binaries you need.

I really am not seeking your advice on the overall plan; please don't take
offense when I don't try to convince you it is worthwhile.  I am asking
this list about the rpm packaging convention, and I would really like some
more feedback about that.  (The answer about symlinks was very helpful.)

Thanks,
Roland