[Fedora-packaging] Packaging guidelines for Emacsen add-on packages

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 10:18:08 UTC 2007

On 18/07/07, Jens Petersen <petersen at redhat.com> wrote:
> My suggestion is just to go with emacs-* rather than emacs-common-*.
> It is a pretty small change and already quite a number of older
> elisp packages follow it.

If I understand correctly, this would translate to:

main package: emacs-foo, containing files specific to GNU Emacs
sub package:  emacs-foo-common, containing files not specific to any
Emacs flavour
sub-package: xemacs-foo, containing files specific to XEmacs
sub-packages: xemacs-foo-el and emacs-foo-el containing the lisp
source for each flavour.

This is essentially was my very first original proposal, but people
weren't keen on it as it uses the term emacs as a generalization for
emacs flavours, and as a specific for GNU Emacs.

I do happen to prefer this though, and tend to agree with Jens. If I
recall, at least Tom didn't like it.

J.