[Fedora-packaging] Users and groups -- the static alternative

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 19:34:34 UTC 2007

The Packaging committee has been discussing users and groups for a long
time, coming up with increasingly elaborate methods of solving the
problems with dynamic allocation of uids.

As an alternative we want to explore biting the bullet and just
allocating another uid range for static assignment.
We thought of two possible ways to do this that made some sense:

1) Allocate the uids at the high end of the 32 bit range: 2**32-(range)
to avoid the uids being used on as many systems as possible.

2) Work with another distro to share the range of static uids.

What do people think of this?  Will it cause pain for too many sites?
Is it an acceptable cost to avoid having to debate dynamic vs static
uids for every package review in the future?

-Toshio