[Fedora-packaging] License Tag Draft

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 02:07:00 UTC 2007

On 7/26/07, Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 20:31 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Tom spot Callaway (tcallawa at redhat.com) said:
> > > OK, I know this is going to be painful, but we need to solve this (FESCo
> > > is waiting for us to do it), and I think this is the cleanest way:
> > >
> > > Please review: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/LicenseTag
> > > and http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing .
> >
> > For versioning, I prefer the much shorter 'GPLv2' (GPL version 2 only)
> > and 'GPLv2+' (GPL version 2 or later).
> >
> > I think the tagging per file in comments is definitely overkill.
>
> Most packages won't need it, and for those that do, it will make the
> task for whomever is auditing the package (re: me) much simpler.

Hmmm would it be simpler to just have an included PACKAGE-LICENSES
file that you would then audit? That would keep the SPEC file from
getting overly ugly in some cases, and make your job a lot simpler by
giving out a tool that they could check to see if something
matches/doesnt match the PACKAGE-LICENSES. We could then share that
with our friends at Debian etc unless they have such a tool that we
could use.