[Fedora-packaging] License Tag Draft

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri Jul 27 06:24:46 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 06:58 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Whatfor? Somebody from the "dark circles" at RH ordered you to do so
> and
> because of the GPLv3 had been introduced. I call this overreaction and
> hysteria ...

Repeat after me. There is no conspiracy. No one ordered me to do this. I
volunteered.

The immediate motivation was concern over GPLv3 and LGPLv3
compatibility, as packagers were innocently violating licensing due to a
lack of awareness, and there was no mechanism in place to automate basic
package license checking due to a lack of standardization.

However, as Smooge pointed out, this is something that a lot of people
have known needed to be done since FC2 (and likely, before).

And yes, the Licensing wiki is not the utopian mechanism for this.
Having this data in the PackageDB makes a lot more sense to me, but
we'll start here and grow.

~spot