[Fedora-packaging] Make empty debuginfo packages a build error?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat Jul 28 16:50:18 UTC 2007

On Saturday 28 July 2007, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> VS> How about making empty debuginfo packages a build error?
>
> Sure.  And I'm having trouble coming up with a situation where a
> debuginfo containing a single file is OK, since it generally indicates
> that debuginfo was extracted from an executable but no source was
> found. (Common for Java packages, at least.)

Yep, ditto cases where "strip -g" is invoked on the binaries before
find-debuginfo.sh does its thing, or the binaries are built without -g which
almost always means that $RPM_OPT_FLAGS aren't being used either and at that
point useless -debuginfo is no longer necessarily the biggest problem.

> Or is such a stunted
> debuginfo package still considered useful?

I don't think so, at least generally, but detecting it without false positives
is harder than the empty debuginfo case.  And the Java case is a good example
of another problem - I'm not sure we'd want people to disable debuginfo
packages because the tools don't support creating sane ones from them yet.