[Fedora-packaging] Re: Call rpm during rpmbuild

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Jun 5 15:33:22 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 10:14:20AM -0500, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 10:14 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Axel Thimm wrote:
> > >
> > > But weren't recursive rpm calls fixed many, many years ago, so that
> > > this is fine to use since ??? (hopefully including RHEL3)?
> >
> > Stop the heresy, you'll raise spot's blood-pressure... :)
> >
> > In practice, it may or may not work (not more often than not, in
> > chroot'd buildroots), but it's best to simply say "just don't do it".
>
> FWIW, I asked Panu about this, and this was his reply:
>
> For the casual "rpmbuild -ba foo.spec" usage, querying from within a
> build is what I consider "mostly harmless". However in the Fedora
> context, where packages will be built within a chroot with no guarantees
> about the rpm version outside vs inside the chroot, it WILL break sooner
> or later due to db environment mismatch. Eg if RHEL 4 was used as the
> build host, in FC[567] (or thereabouts) chroot the query would fail.
>
> Mock *could* of course clear the environment (the infamous 'rm -f
> /var/lib/rpm/__*') before entering the chroot and after exiting it to
> avoid the issue. Or one could configure them to use DB_PRIVATE locking,
> but lets not go there... :)
>
> *****

Yes, that's true, which is why I use a common rpm version both outside
and inside the chroots :)

> So, basically, don't do it. We can't be sure it is safe, or predictable,
> and we know there are at least some failure cases.

I've been using is for several years though for the same reason as
Richard: I needed to find the exact package evr for some builds,
mostly in order to create strict dependencies.

But I've been cheating, so I never got into troubles ever. :)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net