[Fedora-packaging] Re: Possible UsersAndGroupsDraft

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 18:56:35 UTC 2007

On 6/14/07, Simo Sorce <ssorce at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 17:25 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:

> Axel, you couldn't choose a worst example :)

Ok having had to tell people that they can't have the accounts root,
bin, sys or daemon just because thats their first or last name... if
there is an account name.. it will be used in the real world (god
knows how many people in boston or berkeley have changed their names
to Xyzzy.

There is no good solution for figuring out what a person's local
naming/UID scheme is. We can try and come up with lots of ways.. and
too many sites will have a name/number scheme that we will break
horribly.

We might as well prepopulate the /etc/passwd and /etc/group file with
100,200,500,etc  unused accounts with the names of "uid001/gid001" etc
And then either work out a cross distribution committee that works out
what future UID/GID should be for the billion odd packages are. Works
as well as any other scheme from what I can tell.