[Fedora-packaging] Re: /srv

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Jun 27 18:52:01 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 08:41:43PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mercredi 27 juin 2007 à 20:19 +0200, Axel Thimm a écrit :
> > On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 08:08:50PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>
> > > also layouts that use domains as roots are pretty much ruled out in an
> > > rpm context, so that's not as if we have a choice to make
> >
> > Yes, but that means more that the rpm setup within /srv is ruled out,
> > the way you write it may be read as "rpm doesn't support domain
> > hierarchies, so Fedora setups should not use them" ;)
>
> That is exactly what I meant.

Well, see below.

> Using the filesystem namespace to express domain separations is broken
> by design in any autodeploy/autoupdate context. That people can get by
> in a manual deployment context does not make it any less broken (there's
> a lot of stuff which is cheap with a human operator and insane with an
> automaton)
>
> The *only* sane policy in an automated context is domain-agnostic file
> locations + domain policy in conf files (which allows transparent domain
> aliasing BTW). I've spent time enough as a webapp ISV engineer trying to
> workaround the tomcat≥3 stupid policy of forcing a domain file layout on
> everyone to have a clear opinion on the subject.
>
> You have file resources, and you have local network policies (which may
> even be dynamic with dhcp avahi & friends). They never map 1:1. Forcing
> file layout to reflect domain layout is an exercise in futility.

I agree, which is why you can't this all happen under /srv. rpm can
either not have /srv at all, or enforce only one of three popular
models pissing off two thirds of the users.

But we want all users to continue to use Fedora/RHEL, so we let /srv
to the users' mercy only, and keep our packages away from it.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net