[Fedora-packaging] Re: Modifying upstream tarballs

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Jun 6 21:38:19 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 11:23:07PM +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > Anyway let's agree on disagreeing, I really just wanted to add my 2¢
> > and now the meter is already at 2€. ;)
>
> No problem, I am not sure that we disagree that much, we should look
> at particular reviews to know for sure.

I just want to discourage offering patches to generated files as much
as possible due to reduced maintainablity, reproducability and
reviewability.

*Guidelines* are there to allow for deviation where it makes
sense. Therefore as a guideline I prefer to be strict and
discouraging. People will still make one-line fixes and use sed/perl
to fix trivial stuff, and that's OK to a certain extent. But if the
guidelines start off with a loose situation then you get even further
deviation from what is sane.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net