[Fedora-packaging] Update to php-eaccelerator and how to make it "just work"

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Fri Jun 22 12:49:38 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm currently cleaning up the php-eaccelerator package. It has been in
Fedora since the very beginning and I'm pretty sure it never went
through any review (straight from freshrpms).

The major change I have to do is "fix" the version :
"5.2.3_0.9.5.1" has to become plain "0.9.5.1"

...so I'll have to introduce and epoch :-(

The problem is historical, as the module had to track the main php
package's version quite closely, back when the zend_abi version wasn't
provided by the php package, and this ugly trick was an easy way for end
users to know if the package was the correct one.

Anyway, I'll be doing that unless someone objects ;-)

The next issue is that the cache files created by the module are stored
in /var/cache/php-eaccelerator/ and the ownership of that directory is
hardcoded to apache:apache in the package. This is a problem when using
php with another web server, lighttpd for instance (which I do a lot).
It's even worse when using multiple web servers on the same machine...

I'd like the find a clean solution for this. The only one I can think
of is to have php-eaccelerator create its own group in which it'll
put apache, lighttpd and eventually others, and have the cache
directory owned by "root:eacceler" (it's better with only 8 chars,
right?) and set g+S. This way, all web servers should be able to write
and read cache files. I was also thinking of adding the web server
users to the group by using triggers in the php-eaccelerator package.

Does this seem sane to do?

Matthias

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) - Linux kernel 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7
Load : 0.72 0.81 0.81