[Fedora-packaging] /srv

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Wed Jun 27 18:01:59 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 27 June 2007, Axel Thimm wrote:

> On the /srv issue: The FHS is deliberately not providing any layout on
> how to internally structure this, as there are at least two very
> popular ones (both of them mentioned in the FHS):
>
> /srv/<service>/[<domain>/]...
> /srv/<domain>/<service>/...
>
> As neither fits universally and Fedora is a general purpose distro we
> should not impose any layout on the users but allow them to freely use
> any layout they like. There are extended version of this argumentation
> on this list and f-m-l

But the FHS also says "However /srv should always exist on FHS compliant
systems and should be used as the default location for such data.".

I don't see how it would be possible to sanely satisfy all the "do not assume
any particular layout", "do not remove locally placed files in /srv"
and "use /srv as the default location for such data" requirements in packaged
software, so maybe that's a case in point for not using /srv at all.

But I think asking the FHS people for clarification before setting policies
and especially before rushing to make changes to packages that currently use
and place files in /srv would be the right thing to do.