[Fedora-packaging] Repotag in EPEL

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 13:03:12 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 00:22 +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 04:05:09PM -0700, David Lutterkort wrote:
> > Could EPEL make it mandoatory for its packages ? It seems that expanding
> > %{dist} for this would be very low overhead and unintrusive for
> > packagers.
>
> For some packages it is better not to have a dist tag (noarch data
> packages, mostly).

Indeed. I'm not necessarily opposed to the repotag being part of %{dist}
for EPEL, but I am opposed to making %{dist} mandatory.

I've still not exactly heard a good reason for a repotag yet, or rather,
what problem we solve with it.

Are we simply trying to identify the repository from which a package
came for the purposes of enabling users to file a bug in the right
place? Or is this something more complicated?

~spot