[Fedora-packaging] Re: Building a set of packages where some BuildRequire others

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Mar 30 10:37:05 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 11:45:30AM +0200, Mary Ellen Foster wrote:
> I'm currently trying to create Fedora-compliant packages of the
> Internet Communications Engine (Ice) -- object-oriented middleware,
> see http://www.zeroc.com/ for details. They used to provide a yum
> repository for Fedora, but with the new version they've stopped. I'm
> now working on adapt their SRPMS to Fedora packaging standards. (If
> anyone else has done / is doing this, let me know!)
>
> I've managed to create a few packages, in the process learning a lot
> more about RPM tricks and so on. One issue I'm having -- and I'm
> pretty sure it's unavoidable -- is that many of the packages have
> build-time requirements on other packages. For example, the tool to
> translate ice interfaces into Java code is called "slice2java" and is
> part of the ice-java-devel package; this tool is then needed to build
> the ice-java runtime package.

Are ice-java-devel and ice-java subpackages of the same build? If yes,
you can use slice2java within one specfile. If not, then the naming is
a bit awkward, but what would stop you from using BuildRequires:
ice-java-devel in ice-java? Or is ice-java-devel dependent on
ice-java, e.g. you have a circular build dependency, e.g. a
bootstraping problem?

> What's the accepted way of building something with this type of
> constraints in mock? Should I just build temporary versions of the
> necessary tools as needed (e.g., let ice-java compile its own version
> of "slice2java" just for use in the build process)? I'd rather not do
> that, but if it's necessary I can do things that way.

If it's a bootstraping problem, either do ice-java and ice-java-devel
in one source package, so no build dependencies to external packages
arise, or if that's not an option you need some special bootstraping
attendance by both the FPC and the build admins.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net