[Fedora-packaging] Re: How to deal with folders that need the user to change permissions on?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Mar 15 14:40:40 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 03:16:12PM +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Thursday 15 March 2007, Axel Thimm wrote:
>
> > A workaround would be to not own this folder which is very ugly,
> > violates guidelines, leaves orphaned folders behind, and is just not
> > The Right Solution. Which is The Right Solution?
>
> Well, if I understand correctly, considering that fiddling with the
> permissions of this dir is required for the purpose of enabling mediawiki to
> create files in it, and those created files will not be owned by the
> mediawiki package in any case and will be left behind on package erase (ditto
> the dir if there are files in it, dir owned or not), I don't think leaving it
> unowned would be anywhere near a cardinal sin either.
>
> In fact, it sounds much better to me than changing permissions of packaged
> files - package upgrades reset permissions of files, %config or not.  Ditto
> rpm --setperms/--setugids.  Which is why IMHO the answer to the original
> question is "don't even try to require changing permissions/ownership of
> packaged files, find a better way around the problem".

So, you suggest to not ship the folder at all? Or create it in %post
to evade the folder entering the manifest?

> Marking the dir as %ghost and experimenting how it behaves then could also be
> of (mostly academic) interest.

Well, %ghosting is for having something in the manifest w/o shipping
it. I want the opposite :)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net