[Fedora-packaging] Post-release tags

Fernando Nasser fnasser at redhat.com
Wed Mar 21 13:39:39 UTC 2007

Hi all,

We have for quite some time figured out what to do with pre-release
tags: 0.#.<tag>.#%{?dist}

But what to do with _post_-release tags?

Here is an example:

These upstream software releases its software from pre-release to final
like that:

1_1_0_BETA
1_1_0_BETA1
1_1_0_BETA2
1_1_0_CR1
1_1_0_CR2
1_1_0_GA

So far so good, we use pre-release tags for all but the last, which we
call just '1.1.0'.

After the final release (GA- General Availability), the process goes on.
  After some fixes are added, they release:

1_1_0_CP1
1_1_0_CP2
1_1_0_CP3

So I thought we could just add one decimal point: .1, .2 and .3 for the
above.

Eventually, they have a wider distribution one with a different naming:

1_1_0_SP1   (SP = Service Pack)

And there goes my extra decimal point scheme.

I think CPs after that would go like:

1_1_0_SP1_CP1

as I've also seen then use

1_1_0_GA_CP1  instead of just 1_1_0_CP1

I've also seem ugly things like

1_1_0_PATCH1

What should we do in these cases?

Add non-numerics in the version field and have:

1.1.0.GA

1.1.0.GA.CP1  or   1.1.0.GA_CP1

Or should we create a "post-release" convention, with a numeric field
(non-zero, to distinguish from pre-release tags) followed by the
alphanumeric from upstream, like "GA", "GA_CP1" etc?

Please, think a little bit about this, they have quite a few packages.

Regards to all,
Fernando

P.S.: We don't need the leading '0.' in this case as there won't be a
following pure digit version, like it happens for pre-release tags.