[Fedora-packaging] Is this license okay for a fedora package?

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri Mar 30 13:19:27 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 19:19 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 15:45 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > I'd like to package up Maia Mailguard, and the license appears to be
> > original BSD (advertising clause included) with a branding extension
> > added. Thoughts?
> >
> > http://www.maiamailguard.org/license.php
>
> Sent to the FSF for feedback. We'll see what they say.

The FSF says:

The branding constitutes a restriction on people's rights to adapt the
software for their own purposes.  It doesn't just affect source comments
or documentation (like the advertising clause does).  So I believe this
makes it nonfree.

I can submit it to the OSI for approval, but I'm less and less
comfortable with it at this time.

~spot