[Fedora-packaging] [DRAFT] Post Release Naming/Tags

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat Mar 31 15:54:16 UTC 2007

Le samedi 31 mars 2007 à 11:08 -0400, Christopher Aillon a écrit :
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> >>
> >> '-' is not a valid character in an rpm version.
> >
> > man tr
> >
> > %define tarvers 1.2.3-4.5.6
> > %define rpmvers %{expand:%(echo %tarver | tr - _)}
> > Version: %rpmvers
>
> At which point you're no longer using the exact upstream version.
> You're using something close to it.  There are lots of ways to do
> something close to something.  If the tarball is x.y-z, we could do
> x.y_z-1.fc7 (version: x.y_z) or x.y-z.1.fc7 (version x.y release z.1)
> and they'd all look valid.  But none of them follow upstream.

Please no underscores I dearly hate underscores in versions. Use a dot
it you need to (this is actually the right subversion separator)

> I'd argue that using the latter scheme makes it look closest to
> upstream, which to me is very important if I want to search for a
> package by version number.  I'd still be able to do find -name
> abc-x.y-z* or a yum search abc-x.y-z and have it work.

There are many way we mangle upstream names & versions, you can't expect
yum search abc-x.y-z to work anyway. Following upstream is well and good
but following distro conventions comes first.

Take ConsoleKit-libs for example. Someone blindly matched upstream. So
it's a one-of-a-kind:
- people don't find it easily since it's lot matching usual packagename
lowercasing (same for the service btw)
- it's a pam package but it's not a pam_foo package like the others

(and it's totally broken on x86_64 right now because it's not putting
its stuff in /lib64 as it should)

Don't let upstream quirks creep in distro naming please.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot