[Fedora-packaging] Re: Requires: initscripts?

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Tue May 8 10:02:35 UTC 2007

Axel Thimm wrote :

> > > Doesn't initscripts belong to the always-assume-installed-set-of-packages-
> > > so-don't-redundandly-require-it-unless-you-need-a-versioned-dependency?
> > >
> > > Just like gcc, make etc?
> >
> > That would be the list of assumed _build_ requirements. I was asking
> > about a normal requirement for a package containing an init script
> > in /etc/rc.d/init.d/.
>
> Yes, you're right.
>
> But unless this package is installed in a chroot w/o kernel and
> friends you always have initscripts present. OTOH it isn't quite wrong
> to run daemons in chroots where appropriate.
>
> Does your script make any actual use of initscripts (like sourcing in
> parts of it) or is this just the parent directory ownership issue?

Nothing fancy. Just a simple "service" to have run on startup, control
with chkconfig and service. I don't think "Requires: initscripts" would
improve nor fix anything, but I wanted an authoritative answer to be
100% sure :-)

Matthias

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Linux kernel 2.6.20-1.2948.fc6
Load : 2.57 1.55 1.65