[Fedora-packaging] Re: Second user/group handling draft

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri May 11 11:40:21 UTC 2007

On 11.05.2007 13:01, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 12:37:57PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
>> But that's a different discussion we probably should not open here and now.
> I agree, the fpc or the packaging discussion is less suited on topics
> about hunting down bad & lazy packagers. FWIW until now it was a
> cooperative work of the contributors, I hope it doesn't need to change
> in the future. But whatever punishment methods against lazyness will
> be envised they would not appear in the guidelines ;)

Well, some "punishment methods" might be needed -- but I'm had mainly
stuff like scripts in mind, that simply change spec files
(semi-)automatically. Or a kind of QA-gang, that makes adjustments where
needed.

>>> Maybe, but this would require the maintainer of "setup" to make
>>> painfully sure wiki and "setup" are always in sync. The moment this
>>> deviates we're in trouble, so if the maintainer(s) of setup can't
>>> commit to simultaneous edits of "setup" and wiki contents, we should
>>> better keep "setup" as the only authoritative source. Which can be
>>> easily checked from the cvs viewer online I guess, so packagers will
>>> be able to check rawhide allocation immediately.
>> Agreed. But sysadmins need to have a list of all possible users accounts
>> somewhere afaics, otherwise it will be hard for them to modify setup (or
>> am I missing something?). Maybe we could maintain such a list somewhere
>> inside the setup rpm or it's cvs?
> The list *is* part of "setup":

Seems we don't understand each other here :-/

So I'm trying it in a different way: say I'm a sysadmin and I want to
have the same static UIDs and GIDs on all my systems for *all* Fedora
packages that create UIDs or GIDs during install. I need a list of
groupnames and usernames such packages might create to prepare a
modified setup package.

So we need to have a kind of list like this somewhere:

||package||groupname||username||
||clamav||clamavfoo||clamavbar||
||zaptel||zaptelfoo||zaptelbar||

Then I as a sysadmin could easily create a modified setup.rpm with
static UID and GIDs in case clamav or zaptel get installed sooner or
later. Without such a list it would be really hard to modify setup.

CU
thl