[Fedora-packaging] Re: Second user/group handling draft

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri May 11 11:20:35 UTC 2007

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 11:42:39AM +0100, Joe Orton wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 11:38:34PM +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > On Wednesday 25 April 2007, I wrote:
> >
> > > The first draft about user and group handling (creation etc) is ready for
> > > discussion: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/UsersAndGroups
> >
> > As noted in this week's FPC meeting minutes, the draft is probably going to be
> > voted on next week.  A more fleshed out and cleaned up version which also
> > takes into account some findings in the FPC meeting as well as other feedback
> > on -maintainers is now online.  Comments still welcome.
>
> Is it really a good idea to run /bin/id in scriptlets?  Depending on
> nsswitch configuration, couldn't this block waiting for NIS/etc lookups?

You do have a point there, but the same is true for a simple ls -l
command, so if NIS is in trouble rpm installs/upgrades will be the
least that break, and they do break in %pre, e.g. there is no harm
done.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net