[Fedora-packaging] Re: Second user/group handling draft

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri May 11 12:04:03 UTC 2007

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 01:40:21PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> Seems we don't understand each other here :-/
>
> So I'm trying it in a different way: say I'm a sysadmin and I want to
> have the same static UIDs and GIDs on all my systems for *all* Fedora
> packages that create UIDs or GIDs during install. I need a list of
> groupnames and usernames such packages might create to prepare a
> modified setup package.

I understand, I thought you wanted to have an official registry for
uid/gid mappings, but you just want to know which user/groups exist at
all.

> Then I as a sysadmin could easily create a modified setup.rpm with
> static UID and GIDs in case clamav or zaptel get installed sooner or
> later. Without such a list it would be really hard to modify setup.

I think if the site admin does not know what users/groups he would
like to sync across his site, then he doesn't really need to sync
them.

The site syncing makes sense when

o mixing different Linuxes/Unices (but there you have even worse
  problems like different user/group splitting, so this use case is
  hardly worth going through troubles anyway)

o or sharing package controlled parts over the network (like apache owned
  nfs shares). In these cases the admin has to know beforehand what his
  setup requires from a uid/gid POV, since these setups are his unique,
  custom deployment.

So instead of requiring from all packagers that creat a group to
maintain a list, which 10% won't do no matter what punishment you will
threaten and being poked on bad quality by the site admins that think
that Fedora should design their customized setups, have them (the
admins) do their work and really think and design about their
deployment including which user/groups they might need.

But maybe the following can make you happy: A script that greps
through the CVS and extracts these for you automatically. so no
hunting down bad and lazy packagers and a rather up to date table to
weekly import into the wiki. But that's not something we would mention
in the guidelines.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net