[Fedora-packaging] Re: Second user/group handling draft

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat May 12 09:31:47 UTC 2007

On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 12:18:09PM +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Friday 11 May 2007, Axel Thimm wrote:
>
> >   "If you think that your package really requires allocation of global
> >   static uids/gids (because you need to hardwire these values into the
> >   binaries) then contact <the maintainer of "setup"? the fpc? fesco?>
> >   and ask for such an allocation. Only very few packages require a
> >   global static uid/gid, so verify that you indeed need one before
> >   contacting <>".
>
> Adding users/groups to the "setup" package in the distro is an upgrade
> problem - /etc/passwd and friends will end up as *.rpmnew

That's everyday's Fedora setup, the first ever user you create already
modifies these, and how many users are really creating all users in
LDAP/NIS, I think in the Fedora world most are still on nss file
switch, so passwd/group are almost always user modified on each
upgrade.

We wouldn't change anything in today's procedures, we're just writing
them down.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net