[Fedora-packaging] Second user/group handling draft

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat May 12 09:38:22 UTC 2007

On Friday 11 May 2007, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> Requiring shadow-utils as opposed to /usr/sbin/{user,group}add cuts down
> on a layer of indirection when resolving deps.

Sure, but it also introduces an indirection within the specfile as we'd no
longer have explicit scriptlet dependencies to executables being used in
them.  I think this is somewhat frowned upon, but I can't find a guideline
reference right now.

BTW, somehow I feel that if the dependency would be on shadow-utils, it'd be
more natural to also invoke useradd/groupadd from $PATH without
hardwired /usr/sbin (or %{_sbindir}).  Anyone else have the same feeling?