[Fedora-packaging] Packaging guidelines for Emacsen add-on packages

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Tue May 22 01:57:50 UTC 2007

Jonathan Underwood さんは書きました:
> Jens, I happen to mostly agree with you. However, the guideline I
> created is taking the package naming guidelines for emacs add-ons as
> gospel, as this was discussed a lot before being decided on, and the
> reasons for chosing the current scheme were a bit convoluted. See
> these threads for the long discussions:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2006-May/msg00262.html
> (you'll need to read through a fair few posts to see how it evolved)
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2006-May/msg00740.html

Ok thanks, that clarifies the status quo.

> Tom in particular was in favour of the "common" part of the naming
> scheme, as I recall.

I still think the emacs-common prefix is confusing with the emacs-common
package but I should have made that comment a year ago I guess. ;-)
There are alternative prefix's (elisp or emacsen) that could be (have
been) used but perhaps it is too late now?  IMHO it would be better to
avoid hyphened prefixes in package naming afap possible in the future.

Jens