[Fedora-packaging] Re: paragraph on shipping static numerical libs

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon May 28 07:26:39 UTC 2007

On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 07:56:50PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sunday 27 May 2007 16:01:36 Axel Thimm wrote:
> > Whatever policies Fedora follows here, RHEL will not be different, so
> > if static libs don't exist on Fedora, they will unlikely do so on a
> > RHEL release of the same timeframe.
>
> Or more to the point, RHEL may not build the static libs at all as RHEL may
> not want to support having static libs on the system.

You'd want to do that even if they are useful for some users?

In any case the point wasn't about choices you may make in RHEL, but
that one cannot say something don't work on Fedora and will on RHEL. Of
course you may chose the reverse (that is something that works on fedora
doesn't work on RHEL) -- even for good reasons (I don't think removing
static libs that are in Fedora is a good thing given that they should be
carefully chosen such as to be only the static libs that may have a use).

--
Pat