[Fedora-packaging] Re: paragraph on shipping static numerical libs

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon May 28 12:10:38 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 01:54:33PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Most of these guys are just beginners to everything but
> "algorithms", which to them means "math".
>
> They never heard nor thought about "sockets", "ipc", i18n, threading,
> ABIs/APIs, system-integration, ... etc.

Ehm, I'm not sure what you are describing, ipc is a very big deal
especially cross-processor-wise. Threading? mpi/openmp was developed
out of these group's needs.

> > Anyway, we're getting off-topic, the facts are that there are camps
> > that rightfully use static libs a lot. Either Fedora cares about these
> > camps, or they are considered a minority to not really cater for their
> > needs.
> IMO, this is not a matter of "minorities" nor of demands. I feel this to
> be a matter of "limitation of knowledge" trying to push their mistakes
> into the distro.

I think the lack of knowledge is perhaps on the other side of the
fence.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net