[Fedora-packaging] Re: paragraph on shipping static numerical libs

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon May 28 19:39:44 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 08:53:58PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Une traduction extrêmement approximative qui sonne moins bien "pépites
> d'absurdités considérées comme des évidences"

C'est joli en tout cas ;-). Pas forcement au niveau du fond, mais au
moins de la forme ;-)

> > Once again I am open to new stuff, but I haven't seen anything that
> > would be as simple and effective as building statically (in the case of
> > specific scientific apps I am referring to, of course).
>
> You have two missing bits:
> 1. a nice create-autotooled-rpm-for-dummies environment
> 2. a deployment framework
>
> You have only to look at koji to realise the technical basis for 2. is

It is not what koji looks like from the perspective of a fedora
contributor, but maybe once there is more doc it will appear more
clearly...

> already there, and IIRC there are products on the market that do the
> package as payload thing.
>
> 1. is harder and is in its infancy today. That's why package systems
> with broken dependency engines sell and rpm/deb don't.

It is certainly something different from rpm/deb since it should be
doable as a user.

> But if you don't get a package feed up people do manual deployments,
> slowly rot the cluster and make OS upgrades impossible. static is just a
> way to partially hide the rot.

That is not the way I see the usefulness of static linked apps. They are
for immediate consumption in my use case.

--
Pat