[Fedora-packaging] Re: paragraph on shipping static numerical libs

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Tue May 29 02:14:21 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 23:32 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:

> And how did that single admin get 1000 systems that are obviously
> similar enough to be managed by a single person? Maybe because the
> budget allowed to buy a rather homegeneous pile of hardware?

I call crap on that. I was a single systems person for a bunch of
systems for a long time. You keep your sanity by enforcing policy and
you can do that by using the tools available to you to simplify the
tasks. You don't need homogeneous hw, you need LARGELY homogeneous hw.
So you limit the processor archs and you try to focus things down as
much as possible.

It took me 2 years to get rid of all the sun crap in the physics
department but I did. I still had wacky AXP crap after that but then
another few years and that was gone, too.

My point is it didn't have much to do with the distro, it had more to do
with me finding and working policy in place where it needed to happen.
and THAT is how a sysadmin survives and thrives. By learning where they
can engineer around a solution and where they need to use policy to help
themselves.

In this case Bill is right, this is where we realize that we can make
the engineering help get rid of years of bad policy.

-sv