[Fedora-packaging] Upgrading databases as part of the RPM postinst script?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Wed May 9 19:47:44 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 08 May 2007, Maxim Veksler wrote:

> I think we can agree that if my databases changes between
> version and I wish to allow my users to continue running with their
> existing data I need to provide some method for them to upgrade their
> scheme while not loosing their data.

Note also that schema updates are operations that people generally want to do
only after making a full backup of existing data, so that they have something
to return to in case something goes south with the update, or if the new
version does not for one reason or another meet their needs and they want to
downgrade.  Upgrade scripts that upgrade the schema but leave it in a
backwards compatible state are to some extent safer (and rarer), but I
wouldn't be happy to see them being run automatically from package scriptlets
either.