[Fedora-packaging] Re: Second user/group handling draft

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu May 10 21:09:04 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 11:38:34PM +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 April 2007, I wrote:
>
> > The first draft about user and group handling (creation etc) is ready for
> > discussion: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/UsersAndGroups
>
> As noted in this week's FPC meeting minutes, the draft is probably going to be
> voted on next week.  A more fleshed out and cleaned up version which also
> takes into account some findings in the FPC meeting as well as other feedback
> on -maintainers is now online.  Comments still welcome.

Just a recomendation and two minor bits:

o static uids/gids: They are covered, but there are semantically two
  typed of them: such that the Fedora project globally wants to define
  and such that a site admin may want to define. Both go through
  "setup", but we should mention what steps a packager needs to
  undertake if he want to officially register a uid/gid (while at the
  same time discouraging registring static id for the registration's
  sake only). Maybe something like

  "If you think that your package really requires allocation of global
  static uids/gids (because you need to hardwire these values into the
  binaries) then contact <the maintainer of "setup"? the fpc? fesco?>
  and ask for such an allocation. Only very few packages require a
  global static uid/gid, so verify that you indeed need one before
  contacting <>".

o /srv/PACKAGE: We don't want to suggest to packagers to put anything
  under /srv as this is up to the admin to specify the layout. While
  one needs to admit that this may still be controversial within
  Fedora it's safer to not mention it.

o /usr/sbin -> %{_sbindir} just as an educational measure? (Perhaps
  even rpmlint will cry if it's hardcoded?)

Other than that (and even with that): +1
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net