[Fedora-packaging] Re: Requires: initscripts?

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Fri May 11 14:24:01 UTC 2007

Axel Thimm wrote :

> On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 03:05:22PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Matthias Saou (thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net) said:
> > > Nothing fancy. Just a simple "service" to have run on startup, control
> > > with chkconfig and service. I don't think "Requires: initscripts" would
> > > improve nor fix anything, but I wanted an authoritative answer to be
> > > 100% sure :-)
> >
> > If you require /sbin/service, initscripts will get pulled in...
>
> Looks like the wrong people sit in the FPC - this was just too obvious
> and our brains jammed in accord.

Not entirely... since /sbin/service is only Requires(preun) and
Requires(postun), nothing is making initscripts a "pre" or runtime
requirement of the package AFAICT.

I still can't really picture a working system which wouldn't have
initscripts installed, though.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Linux kernel 2.6.20-1.2948.fc6
Load : 0.18 0.33 0.43