[Fedora-packaging] Packaging guidelines for Emacsen add-on packages

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Thu May 17 03:57:15 UTC 2007

Hi,

Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> I have placed a draft Guidelines document on the wiki for your
> consideration. This document covers the packaging of Emacs and XEmacs
> add-on packages, and provides two template spec files with the
> intention of lowering the inertial barrier to developing packages for
> (X)Emacs. The doc can be found here:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/EmacsenAddOns

Thanks for doing this.  I agree it would be very good to have guidelines
for packaging elisp packages.

My only comment so far FWIW is that I don't like naming the source
packages emacs-common-<name> so much.  I think it is a bit
confusing with emacs-common (an emacs subpackage) already existing
and it makes the source package names rather long.  (I just noticed
some submitted an emacs-common-<name> package for review...)

For me at least it would make more sense just to name the main package
emacs-<name> to be honest, and then sure there could still be a
emacs-<name>-common package and xemacs-<name> package as appropriate.
Traditionally that is what we did in the old days when we had elisp
packages in RHL.

Jens