[Fedora-packaging] Re: paragraph on shipping static numerical libs

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon May 28 07:21:21 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 12:41:04AM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> So, my reading of this is 'larger phys/chem institutions are
> crazy and don't understand sane systems management'. Am I reading
> this wrong?

different levels of funding leads to different management strategies.
Besides, why don't use this kind of solutions when they work fine?

> If you want consistent results, run a consistent platform.

Right, results may not be 100% consistent on different platforms even
with statically linked executables, but, given that there are different
platforms it helps a lot and even though results are not exactly the
same they may be close enough -- just like if the same program was run
on 2 different computers.

--
Pat