[Fedora-packaging] Re: paragraph on shipping static numerical libs

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon May 28 07:34:22 UTC 2007

José Matos (jamatos at fc.up.pt) said:
> On Monday 28 May 2007 05:41:04 Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > So, my reading of this is 'larger phys/chem institutions are
> > crazy and don't understand sane systems management'. Am I reading
> > this wrong?
>
>   Don't downplay their efforts, most of their problems run for months and they
> are very carefull about the results, after all is their reputation that is at
> stake. :-)

Yes, but... describing a situation where results are run on whatever
machine of whatever OS, with whatever random libs happen to be in
/usr/local? Doesnt sound like an environment that intends to be replicable,
or easily managed. What happens when a disk goes out? Or someone replaces
one of those libraries?

Bill