[Fedora-packaging] Re: paragraph on shipping static numerical libs

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon May 28 18:53:58 UTC 2007

Le lundi 28 mai 2007 à 20:04 +0200, Patrice Dumas a écrit :
> On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 06:10:36PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> >
> > Help create properly autotooled rpm transparently for people that don't
> > care about infrastructure stuff. You already have cluster managers that
> > use rpm as a payload. That takes care of the deployment, of the
> > interfering stuff in /usr/local, etc
>
> Ok, I am not really knowledgable on that matters. Is there something
> viewable, usable?

I'm sorry, I haven't kept the bookmark, and I can't find it with 30s of
googling

> > You focus too much on the current technical solution and not enough on
> > user needs. The problem is not to replicate the same old & broken
> > solution ad vitam eternam but to make the correct technical solution
> > attractive enough for users to switch.
>
> I am very open to new solutions, but the use of static libs is not
> necessarily broken in all cases.
>
> > I won't share nuggets of ass-backwards common wisdom here,
>
> I don't understand that sentence, ca donne quoi en francais ?

Une traduction extrêmement approximative qui sonne moins bien "pépites
d'absurdités considérées comme des évidences"

> Once again I am open to new stuff, but I haven't seen anything that
> would be as simple and effective as building statically (in the case of
> specific scientific apps I am referring to, of course).

You have two missing bits:
1. a nice create-autotooled-rpm-for-dummies environment
2. a deployment framework

You have only to look at koji to realise the technical basis for 2. is
already there, and IIRC there are products on the market that do the
package as payload thing.

1. is harder and is in its infancy today. That's why package systems
with broken dependency engines sell and rpm/deb don't.

But if you don't get a package feed up people do manual deployments,
slowly rot the cluster and make OS upgrades impossible. static is just a
way to partially hide the rot.

--
Nicolas Mailhot