[Fedora-packaging] fortran .mod files

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Oct 23 22:12:04 UTC 2007

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:04:13 +0200 Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 10:07:18AM -0400, Ed Hill wrote:
> >
> > So are we reaching a consensus here on
> > "%{_libdir}/gfortran/modules"? Does anyone have any technical
> > objections to it?
>
> Somebody from the gfortran team told that they were dependent on the
> compiler version. Do we take that into account?

Hi Patrice,

Here is the latest from the GCC gfortran developers:

  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/fortran/2007-10/msg00324.html
  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/fortran/2007-10/msg00325.html

Since there is no guarantee, it is (at least in theory) possible for a
Fedora GCC update to cause *.mod file incompatibilities.  It seems
rather unlikely, though.

Maybe this issue could be best handled as a check-list item when GCC
updates occur?  There are only a small number of Fedora packages that
provide *.mod files.  And they could be re-built whenever GCC is
updated.

What do you think?

Ed

--