[Fedora-packaging] tex related packages naming

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 15:46:45 UTC 2007

On 25/09/2007, Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:

> > > +1 here as well.
> >
> > And me.
> >
> > Can we also consider adding some virtual provides for making add-on
> > packages TeX distribution agnostic.
>
> Such as?
>
> I don't know TeX from a hole in the ground. If you know better, please
> draft guidelines for it. As long as they don't seem to have come from a
> haze of bong smoke, we'll probably sign off on them. Deferring to those
> who know what they're talking about is our secret to success. :)

Well, some early proposals are here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/TeXNaming

Basically, have texlive-bin Provides: TeX such that add-ons can
Require: TeX. That way, if someone needs to install a different
(La)TeX distribution than TeXLive (others do exist), she can still use
the add-on packages (where it makes sense to do so. Depending on how
texlive eventualy ends up being packaged, it may be that we want to
add more fine grained virtual provides, eg tex, latex, tex-dvips,
tex-pdflatex etc etc. This really needs to be done in consideration of
the packaging strategy of texlive though. Input from Jindrich would be
useful.